Arizona State PIRC
Department of Education News Feed
National PTA Releases Issue Brief on Effective Partnerships between PIRCs and PTAs. Click here to download a copy of the brief.
For more information about Arizona PTA visit the PTA website www.azpta.org
November is Parent Involvement Month in Arizona
Governor Brewer has proclaimed November as “Parent Involvement Month” in Arizona. Please join Arizona State PIRC and Arizona State PTA this month as we celebrate and acknowledge the contributions of family involvement on children’s academic achievement.
Family involvement comes in many shapes and sizes. You are involved when you send your child to school, when you ask your child to tell you about their day, and when you convey the importance of education to your child. It is often these simple acts that have the most impact. During this month, celebrate your own level of involvement in your child’s education and challenge yourself to try something new to support your child’s learning.
Here are some simple things that you can try:
- Take time everyday to ask open-ended questions about what your child is learning in school.
- For more detail, ask your child to tell you five things they remember about the day or a specific lesson.
- To make it even more exciting, have your child create a “Top 5” list every day.
- Join your school’s parent or family/teacher organization.
- Reinforce school expectations at home.
- Read all correspondence from the school and your child’s teacher.
- Develop connections with other families within your school community.
- Offer to share professional, cultural or community experiences with your child’s class.
- Assist school staff and educators in creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for families.
- Develop a consistent and daily routine and time for studying and homework.
- Familiarize yourself with school and district policies
- Visit the school’s web page often to stay up-to-date.
Nationally, Parent Involvement Day will be celebrated on November 19, 2009.For more information on National Parent Involvement Day, please visit the Project Appleseed website.
Click here to view and download a copy of Governor Brewer’s Proclamation
Education Related ARRA Funds
Click here to review an overview of all the education related ARRA funds received by each state.
Secretary Duncan gave a major address before the America’s Choice Superintendent’s Symposium on the role of innovation and on plans for the Investing in Innovation (i3) fund.Here’s the link to his remarks.
Be sure to click on the Blog Post at the link above to view the video of the address, which is followed by Jim Shelton’s presentation on the specifics of the i3 fund, followed by a Q&A session with the symposium’s audience members.